If I’m going to be completely honest, I think I made this about 3-4 weeks ago so I’m a little late on this. It also is like the most random plating ever. This recipe has a bit of a twist on it, the spices included are the base of most Indian curries.
I was going to make hash browns on the side but I thought that it was an interesting concept to add shredded potatoes to the scramble (the fact that the hash browns didn’t stick together was also a contributing factor in this decision).
I am constantly skeptical about making dishes with tofu as the main protein because often times if you don’t prepare it correctly it tastes rubbery and is very watery. I was pleasantly surprised that this worked out the way it did. The tofu wasn’t watery and the flavour of the spices were very prominent.
I use the method of mixing the spices in with water because it sticks to the tofu better, and the flavour get’s spread more easily when it is a sauce form.
16 oz tofu
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp coriander
1/4 tsp cayenne
3/4 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp paprika
2 tsp. water
1-2 tbsp of Olive Oil
3 large russet potatoes – shredded
1 red bell pepper
1/2 onion – chopped
5 handfuls of baby spinach – roughly chopped
EXTRA ADD ONS:
- any other spices you feel with taste good
- other peppers, greens, and veggies you have!
1. Place tofu in between two kitchen towels, used two heavy cookbooks and place them on top of the tofu. (The process of pressing tofu get’s the water out off the tofu, I normally leave it pressed for 15-20 minutes)
2. While tofu is being pressed, fry shredded potatoes with olive oil, until potatoes are golden brown. You need to stir this very frequently because the potatoes on the bottom tend to burn easily.
3. In small bowl, combine spices and water together, set aside.
4. When tofu done being pressed, use a fork and smash the tofu into medium pieces. (About the size of a large coin).
5. In a pan the potato pan, add the spinach, onion, and bell pepper and lightly fry them.
6. In another pan fry the tofu, after approximately two minutes start to gradually add the spice mix. When the mix is incorporated add the veggies, (I add them a little bit at a time, it’s easier to stir this way!)
7. When everything is in the pan fry for 5-8 minutes, or until the tofu has browned. Serve immediately!